Riva del Garda | Museo
Inside the Rocca *, an ancient medieval castle, is home to the Riva del Garda Museum, with its permanent sections, the spaces reserved for temporary exhibitions and the Invento laboratory space aimed at children and families. Overlooking the waters of Lake Garda, the Museum is one of the two exhibition sites of the MAG, together with the Galleria Civica G. Segantini of Arco. In both venues of the Alto Garda Museum, history, archeology, landscape, art and contemporaneity interact in a reciprocal way that looks at its heritage to interpret the present and the future. In the Pinacoteca of the Museum of Riva del Garda can admire the landscapes portrayed by those painters who in the nineteenth century were fascinated by the glimpses of Garda and the works of artists such as Pietro Ricchi, Vincenzo Vela and Francesco Hayez. In the section dedicated to Archeology, there are the famous stele statues, precious finds of international relevance dating back to the Copper Age. Along the rooms dedicated to history, the past of Riva and Basso Sarca emerges, characterized by various dominations including those of Verona, Visconti and Venice, until the golden age when Riva became a tourist destination for famous guests such as Thomas Mann and Franz Kafka. In an exhibition that supports the permanent sections, temporary exhibitions are held throughout the year, offering both insights into the collections and views on the landscape and contemporary culture. INVento is instead a space dedicated to children and families, conceived with the optics of learning while having fun. It consists of a permanent workshop-path, equipped with educational islands and creative games, to which is added the possibility of experimenting with pictorial materials and techniques and a fun treasure hunt among the works of the collections. For those visiting the Museum, the ascent to the Mastio is essential, that is the main tower of the Fortress, from which an evocative image of the city and of Lake Garda opens up. An enchanting view can also be seen from the top of the Apponale Tower, reachable from the Museum with a short walk in the historic center. The Apponale Tower is mentioned for the first time in 1273. The historian Baruffaldi claims that it was "the keep of a fort which defended the port". Probably it was so called because it overlooked the part of the port facing "Ponale", a place that is placed in front of it. Originally lower and with the access door very high compared to the ground, it was elevated in 1552. It has a height of 34 meters and is buried for about 3-4 meters. Preserves the bell of the Municipality merged in 1532 in place of the oldest one, which had been unusable for years. In ancient times it also served as a prison and, during the First World War, as an observatory. It has the figure of an angel at the top, which has become the symbol of Riva. * History of the Rocca di Riva The construction of the Rocca of Riva del Garda was authorized in 1124 by Bishop Altemanno; in ancient documents it is referred to as castrum novum, to differentiate it from the castrum vetus that once stood in another part of Riva. It was considered of primary importance for the defense of the city and continuously restructured and modified during the various historical events. It was the residence of the bishop and the captain, first, then barracks, during the Austrian domination. The original form is unknown because of the numerous renovations made by the Austrians who adapted it to the barracks. At the time of the Scaligeri it must have been a perfect model of a medieval castle-fortress, all surrounded by water, like that of Sirmione. The restoration work has brought to light, in its interior, valuable fragments of frescoes dating back to the Clesian period (1514-1539).